"Boring" Baroque Program Notes: 12.16.2022 Recital

I wrote these program notes back in December 2022 for my "Boring" Baroque recital program, consisting of spicy Baroque arias, songs, and cantatas -- performed inauthentically with 440 tuning and accompanied on...grand piano. This experience, enjoyed live by a small yet mighty group, was inauthentic and not period-accurate. But was it boring?

Please hear for yourself and enjoy my shortened program-notes, should you be struck by idleness. 

The first two pieces on the program came from two different publications of Scherzi Musicali, Claudio Monteverdi's popular secular solo and multi-voiced madrigal collections. These "musical jokes" were written by Monteverdi as secular entertainment most likely meant to be enjoyed by amateur musicians looking for a way to have a fun time. Singing three-voiced madrigals would have been one of the many fun activities to be had. The 1607 Scherzi musicali were published during Monteverdi's Mantuan era, during which he worked for Vincenzo I who wanted to make Mantuan music competitive with that of Alfonso II d'Este's Ferrarese court - famously known for its singing ladies. The competition between different Italian courts encouraged the composition of secular music, often by composers who would have typically composed sacred music for sacred employers. But this cultural shift fueling Monteverdi's somewhat civil debate with Artusi based on the state of modern music. The "back in the day" arguments prevailed back in the day just as much as they do now. Artusi claimed that modern music, specifically including Monteverdi's, did not respect long-established rules of composition -- specifically dissonance usage. Monteverdi's argument in response claimed that composition rules were meant to be broken if it meant staying true to the meaning of the text. He coined the term Second Practice. Monteverdi prioritized tet over musical laws, directly contradicting Artusi's argument and the sacred music traditions dominating the majority of the musical output. Monteverdi's move to Venice led to the composition of many operas that Monteverdi wrote for the very first commercial opera theater in Venice, the Teatro Novissimo, where his theory was put into practice via his operas and not just secular madrigals and solo songs.

The first piece, Quel sguardo sdegnosetto (1632), comes from a Venetian re-publication of an existing collection that Monteverdi already put together earlier for the publisher. The song is an example of Monteverdi's adherence to the Second Practice. The song consists of three sections, separated by ritornelli -- instructions for which Monteverdi included in his original publication. The poem is written by Bartholomeo Magni, who was also the publisher of many Monteverdi's collections. Magni worked under the publisher Angelo Gardano, married Gardano's daughter, and then took over the business in 1611 after Gardano's death. One great thing about most Baroque music is that the scores are minimal -- in the case of the Scherzi Musicali, all you really have is the melody that is to be sung with the text and a single line for the bass. Everything else is implied, which means you could technically do whatever you want. In my "Boring" Baroque program, I chose to begin with a traditional realization of the song -- and so the piano realization that you hear is a standard harpsichord realization from an edition found on the internet (in public domain! don't come at me). Please enjoy my translation of the original Italian poetry.

That scornful little glance, Menacing and bright,
That poisonous dart flies forth to pierce my chest,
Beauties, from you I burn all over and torn from within,
Please me with your glance, heal me with your laughter.
 
To arms, oh eyes, with complete rigor,
Pour into my heart a cloud of sparks.
But fon't be late, oh lips, to save me from death.
That glance hurts me, but that laughter heals me.
 
Beautiful eyes, to arms, to arms!
I prepare my chest for your darts.
Rejoice in plaguing me until strength fails me!
And if by your darts I remain defeated,
Let those glances hurt me, but let that laughter heal me.

 

 Dolci i miei sospiri from Monteverdi's 1607 Scherzi Musicali is originally a 3-voiced madrigal with a ridiculous amount of strophes. For this arrangement, I decided to transcribe the other voices into the piano part and then created a piano realization that utilizes modern harmonies and emphasizes colors that are easily achieved on a piano. My decision to showcase the beauty and potential of a piano as opposed to sticking to traditional performance practice is rooted in the timeless human condition -- make do with what you've got. If there are no period instruments, why would you force another to pretend to be one? If you have concerns, complaints, or consternations regarding this, please direct all mail to my PO box listed nowhere because I jest.

Gabriello Chiabrera, the text's author, was a big fan of massive odes. His Wikipedia page says that Chiabrera was "a maker of odes in their elaborate pomp of strophe and antistrophe, a master of new, complex rhythms, a coiner of ambitious words and composite epithetes, an employer of audacious transpositions and inversions, and the inventor of a new system of poetic diction."

My sweet sighs, torments, and desires
And you, sweet songs and sweet tears,
Stay, o God.
 
The winds and seas invite
The passing hours to the ruthless parting
But no more complaining
About love's cruel pleasures in my pain.
 
Now my sighs and torments
And you, my desire, sweet songs and sweet tears
Stay, o God.
 
Within me he moves faith
As when you were around
And your beauty I adores. 

And if everything adorning life should vanish,
Celebrations and festivities
Tell her, oh sighs, tell her, oh torments,
Tell her of my five within.

And if my noble mind will not cover this flame,
Let it feed it then.
 
Gabriello Chiabrera
Translation by Rubina Mazurka

You can read more about the Monteverdi-Artusi controversy HERE. 

 Barbara Strozzi's Lagrime mie comes from her seventh opus, Diporte di Euterpe, published in 1659 and translated as The Pleasures of Euterpe. The opus tracks the emotional evolution of Euterpe, a Greek muse who preside over music. This is the first example of a cantata on the recital, the name given to solo vocal pieces comprised of several sections. Lagrime mie is different from Strozzi's other cantata -- she wrote quite a few -- due to its repetition of the opening refrain, My tears, why do you hold back? In this performance, you hear my realization of Lagrime mie, similarly designed for piano as opposed to harpsichord.

È pazzo il mio core is a strophic aria coming from Strozzi's eighth and last opus, published in 1664. It tells the story of the narrator's frustration with one's own heart for constantly falling for those who are disinterested. It might sound very cliché, and that's because it is. But so is anything else relatable, and Strozzi was definitely aiming for relatable with her poetry and music.

My heart is insane,
If every delirious hour it loves a semblance
That is nothing but harsh.
It gets angry, it sighs, it complains, it grieves,
Frantically, every hour, it hurts in delirium.
But if it remains in pain for those who despise it,
It is well chained, and like that,
Love restrains it.
My heart is insane, it laughs, then it dies,
Mourning its own fate,
Craving its own death, now this mockery.
But if it's for this face that it pines,
Instead of escaping, it is foolish,
Burning in its proud flames of ardor,
My heart is insane...
 
Anonymous, possibly Strozzi herself
Translation by Rubina Mazurka
 
The next two compositions were composed and performed by Alex Wand. Wand is a Grammy Award-winning musician and composer who, in addition to performing solo, is part of the bands Desert Magic and the Partch Ensemble. You can check out his website with upcoming events and blogs HERE!
 
Wand performed on a tricone National Steel Guitar, which he modified slightly by adding viola da gamba strings as frets (his connection to the Baroque). The first composition, .......(2022), is a new instrumental composition, written with a film that Wand is making in mind and in which he will include the piece. A prompt Wand gave the audience at the recital urged people to close their eyes and see what they visualized when hearing the music. The second composition, Graves from santa cruz mountain poems (2021), is a song, setting the poetry of Morten Marcus -- a 20th century poet who lived most of his life in Santa Cruz, CA (where Alex and I met!). The song is part of a larger cycle, based on the poetry in Marcus's book santa cruz mountain poems (1972).          

Che si può fare is the last cantata on this program, also published as part of opus 8 from 1664. This cantata has six sections that track the narrator's emotional journey through unrequited love and the insecurity that accompanies it. Each musical section reflects the affect represented by the text. This cantata is also somewhat of a monster, lasting over ten minutes and containing an entire story-arc within one musical unit. This arrangement, the last of my arrangements included on this program, was my favorite to realize and, not surprisingly, took the longest to realize.

What can be done?
The rebellious stars,
have no pity.
Since the gods don't give
Relief to my suffering,
what can be done?
What can be said?
Up from the heavens disastrous
Rain down upon me;
That that perfidious love
denies a breath of relief to my torment,
What can be said?
So it goes, cruel destiny, that powerful tyrant,
Condemns the innocent:
So it goes, the purest of gold
of constancy and faithfulness,
Refined every hour by the fire of pain.
Yes, yes, I must suffer,
yes, I must sigh,
I must draw my breaths from pain.
In bitter trouble I am eternalized
Heaven withholds my fate
In the vital period
The moment of death.
You damned spirits,
You are blessed,
since every cruel Eumenides *
Is intent on torturing my soul.
If they are gone,
The furies of Dis,
you spend eternity in the Elysian fields
while I burn in hell.
So it happens to all who go
Tracing the footsteps of a blind god
At the end, stumbles.
 
Signor Brunacci
Translation by Rubina Mazurka

Alessandro Stradella's (1645-1682) Pietà Signore, sometimes referred to as Aria di chiesa, has been attributed to Alessandro Stradella, although François-Joseph Fétis, Louis Niedermeyer and Giachino Rossini have all been suggested as more likely composers of the piece. Suggested to have been composed in 1874 (or 1660, if it truly was Stradella), this work centers around a plea for forgiveness through cathartic repentance.   

Lord, have mercy on my sorrow!

Lord, have mercy, if my prayer reaches you

Don’t punish me with your harshness, 

Less severe, always lenient, 

Turn your gaze, look over me.


Don’t let hell damn him,

In the eternal flames of your rage.


Great God, never let hell damn him

In the eternal flames of your rage.

Have pity, Lord,

Lord, have pity on my sorrow,

If my prayer reaches you,

Less severe, always lenient, 

Turn your gaze, look over me.

Lord, have mercy on my sorrow. 

 

translation by Rubina Mazurka 

 

Alessandro Scarlatti's (1660-1725) Le Violette, from his 1694 opera Pirro e Demetrio, is a lovely 24-Italian Art Songs classic that showcases a playfulness that all the previous pieces on my program have neglected to do. The opera it comes from was one of few Scarlatti operas that received international acclaim during his lifetime! 

 

Dewy

Odorous

Pretty violets

You sit there

Shameful,

Half hidden Among the leaves.


And you scold me for my desires,

That are too ambitious.


Pretty violets

Half hidden among the leaves.

 

Adriano Morselli 

translation by Rubina Mazurka  

 

The last two arias both come from the genius of George Frideric Handel (1685-1759). V'adoro, pupille is sung by Cleopatra in Handel's 1724 opera Giulio Cesare. In the aria, Cleopatra is ensnaring Cesare with her alluring and seductive performance. If you so desire, HERE is the full plot. 

 

I adore you, pupils, arrows of love,

Your sparks fly gladly to the bosom.

Pitifully my sad heart craves you,

It calls you every hour its beloved. 

 

Nicola Francesco Haym

Translation by Rubina Mazurka

 

Lascia ch'io pianga is probably one of the most famous Baroque arias. And understandably so, as the melody is exceptionally catchy and pleasant, both to perceive and to sing. Handel must have though so too, as he first utilized it in his 1705 opera Almira, but then reworked it as Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa in his 1707 oratoria Il trionfo del Tempo e del Disinganno. You can read more about Almira HERE. 

 

Leave me that I may weep,

My cruel fate,

And that I may sigh for freedom.


The grief may break

These twisted chains,

Just out of pity for my suffering.

 

Giacomo Rossi

Translation by Rubina Mazurka 

 

In the description of the video below, you can access timestamps that will take you to the specific numbers easily within the video.

 
 


Comments