"When The Ocean Is Tired", a short story by Laura Iceberg

Usually, when I go to the beach in the morning, I say:

"Ocean! Oh, Ocean! I like you! Do you like me too?"


And the ocean answers:


"S-s-s-sure. . . S-s-s-sure. . . S-s-s-sure. . ."


And when I go to the beach in the evening, I can hear the ocean telling me "He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . "

But how can I help the ocean? And I shout to him:


"Oh, Ocean! Oh, Great Ocean! Oh, hoary Ocean! You're so ancient and so huge! You're so wise and so mighty. Oh, tell me, please, how can I help you? I'm so small and weak, and old and tired. . . Explain to me, please, how can I help you?"


But the ocean only asks me again and again: "He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . "


"Oh, Ocean! I see! You're tired. You're like our poor heart: working, and working, and working constantly without ceasing. The human's heart is tired too. And when it ceases, our life will cease too.



"Oh, Ocean! You're the heart of our Earth, and if you stop, the life of our wonderful World will stop too. Remember it, please. Don't forget about it, Ocean, please!"


But the ocean asks me again and again: "He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . He-e-e-e-lp-p-p me, ple-e-a-ase. . . "


"Oh, Ocean! I guess I know! I know how I can help you!"


And I said to him softly and quietly,


"Ocean, I love you. Do you hear me? I lo-o-ove you-u-u-u. Do you hear me?"


"Y-e-e-e-s. . . th-a-a-a-anks. . . Y-e-e-e-s. . . th-a-a-a-anks. . . Y-e-e-e-s. . . th-a-a-a-anks" tiredly sighed the Pacific Ocean.
 



Written by: Laura Iceberg


Comments