Luca Pisaroni In Concert

Luca Pisaroni
On Tuesday, April 1 (no, it wasn't a prank), at the Nourse Theater in San Francisco, I had the honor to attend a recital given by Luca Pisaroni, accompanied by Wolfram Rieger. I always find it tiring going through all of the pieces on the program and saying awkwardly philosophical things about every single piece. Instead, I am going to write about the aftershock, if one might permit me calling it so.
Wolfram Rieger

I heard Mr. Pisaroni as Figaro in the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House and had remembered him quite well from that. Tuesday night's recital brought up a feeling of fascination and exultation. Most of the pieces on the program were about unreturned love, but the debonair energy spewing out during the performance left the listener yearning for more. At least half of that wave of energy and musical emotion was coming from Wolfram Rieger's abilities to express emotion not only through the music but also through body movements. I found it extremely enticing and captivating to see a pianist as emotional as the singer. Let me just put it simply in this way: if I ever become a singer, I want an accompanist like Mr. Rieger. If I ever become an accompanist, I want to be like Mr. Rieger.  Need I say more?


Mr. Pisaroni and Mr. Reiger were both charismatic in their own way. Mr. Rieger's accompaniment didn't only follow the singer, he interpreted the feelings and emotions Mr. Pisaroni was transferring to the audience and added on his own emotional playing. For the listener, it was inspirational. I shall now never forget Mr. Pisaroni and Mr. Rieger as a suave duet pair, and I shall always remember them each separately as scintillating artists. This recital was very gratifying and felicitous. 

Pisaroni's dachshund Tristan and golden retriever Lenny
pose with Pisaroni backstage. 
I had a feeling that Mr. Pisaroni was holding back during all of the recital selections and let his soul pour out completely during the encore O Lieb by Franz Liszt. 

Before the recital began, there was a big "No Cellular Phones" sign on a stand sitting up on stage near the piano. You know, one of those big red circles with a crossed out cellphone inside. Usually this sign is removed before the performers enter on stage, but Tuesday night was an exception. Mr. Pisaroni had to remove the sign himself, with the help of a lady who ran out to grab the sign from him after he attempted to remove it from the stage. What else did you expect? It was stealing the spotlight! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opera gala time: Armenian National Philharmonic Orchestra under Eduard Topchjan

Pianist Hrant Bagrazyan in Concert: In Memory of Professor Igor Yavryan

SHOWSTOPPER: Ruth Asawa School of the Arts Musical Theater Dept Senior Showcase