The Great Gatsby: Movie Review

Yes, I know that this isn't very operatic; but a little variety is always nice. Plus, Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby is a classic.

The Great Gatsby, a story of love, passion, hatred, and revenge, was released on May 10, 2013. I personally did not want to go; but it so happened that I was stuck in Emeryville for the day, and why not enjoy myself? I will say straight forward that it was a little bit too long; and Leonardo DiCaprio didn't seem to fit the role very well. I will admit that I haven't read the book, so my previous statement is not just and doesn't have any evidence supporting it.

The cast included Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire, and others. I am not a very movie-esque person, so I don't know anything about any of them. I have, however, seen the movie, so I will not compare them to any of their previous roles.

Leonardo DiCaprio (Jay Gatsby) is a well-trained actor, I can say. His interpretation of Gatsby was also very realistic: a young rich man who raised himself up above all from his devastated and impoverished position. He has trained himself to act like the rest of the rich people, but something in his manners betrays him, and the others all notice. This is something not all poor people who escaped into the glamourous world can achieve: the ability to blend in. There is always that one little thing that makes one stand out from the rest of them.

Carey Mulligan (Daisy Buchanan) is an actress I know absolutely nothing about. Her character, Daisy, is a donna, like most are in operas. So, our Donna Daisy is truly a donna who doesn't care about her offspring. When asked about her daughter, she winced at the peculiarity of the question. Why is he asking me about that noisy little thing?! Mulligan was able to portray this in such a way that we continued to root for Daisy, even after she acted in this tactless way. It was only at the end when (spoiler alert) Gatsby was shot by the jealous/avenging husband, and Daisy left with her family did I lose all faith in her, whatsoever.

Tobey Maguire's (Nick Carraway) character was like a maid in operas arranging secret meetings for her mistress. Well, in this case they were men, but still. He was a leading character, but there was something about Nick that led you to think why in the world is this guy in this story? His character was one of those that if you cut him out of the plot nothing changes. It's all very strange, but that's how I felt about Nick.



Joel Edgerton (Tom Buchanan) was not a useless character. He, being Daisy's husband, played a significant role in everything that led to Gatsby's death. Daisy was having a hard time at actually facing her husband and telling him who she loved. After she had told him, Tom began having a hard time at accepting this fact. And it was, in fact, his lover that (spoiler alert) Daisy ran over. Gatsby took the blame on himself, but everything that happened could've been stopped if Tom took in the information more calmly than he did.

Overall, the movie had a charm to it, but wasn't my favorite.
     

Comments